Thursday, April 1, 2010

One Small Change

Our One Small Change for March did not go quite as well as I hoped. The change was to switch to our reusable bags for shopping. I have had the bags for well over a year...maybe two years. However, I can't seem to remember to take them into the store with me. Or even have them in the car. I would say we used the bags about half of the time we went shopping. I will keep trying. My intentions are good, but my memory is not! As far as our previous changes, they are all going very well. We are no longer using paper towels or napkins (January change) and I always remember to use my reusable water bottles (February change). I think I have only drank from a plastic bottle 2 or 3 times since February, and that was because I was at a birthday party where that was the drink provided.

April snuck up on me. I realized this morning that I had not thought of a change for April because I didn't even realize it was April until I got to school and my Kindergarteners started in with their "April Fool's" pranks! I have now decided we will stop using plastic baggies for lunchboxes or food storage. We have kind-of already been doing this, but not consistently. I bought some cute fabric sandwich and snack bags when I was in search of cloth napkins and paperless towels. I use them daily, but still use plastic baggies quite often. Maybe I need to find more cute fabric baggies :) I would really love to learn to make them myself. I have my Grandmother's old sewing machine, but I have no idea how to use it. I need to look into sewing machine lessons...

1 comment:

Laura said...

Fabric baggies? What a great idea! This is one thing that I try to avoid, but those baggies in the drawer are just so darn easy. I'm gonna have to google that...