Saturday, January 30, 2010

Saturday Crafting Fun

Today AK and I decided to do a test run on her Valentine's Day craft for this year's Valentine's Day cards. We wanted to make crayon hearts. I found this adorable idea on the long thread blog, and decided to make necklaces out of them. Here's what we needed to get started.



The biggest struggle was peeling all of the crayons...whew...what a chore.



So I went online to find an easier way. Here's what we used. Thank you whoever created the box cutter. I love you.



The tutorial said to break the crayons into small pieces. I remember reading somewhere that you could shave the crayons for this type of project. We decided to experiment with both. I must say I am glad we didn't shav
e too many crayons because the broken crayons worked out much better!



Here's what it all looked like going into the oven...275 degrees for 7-10 minutes.



Meeeelllllttttiiiinnnnggggg....



Add straws during the cooling process.



The final results!



Now, all we have to do is go to the craft store and buy something to string each heart onto, and we'll be done with these! I wish they were a little thicker, but I think they turned out pretty cute. If I feel the urge to peel more crayons, I might try again and make them a bit thicker :)

No comments: